Once an unusual and not especially effective rarity, touchscreen devices are now everywhere, with many people owing at least a smart phone, if not a tablet to boot. It’s therefore no surprise that laptop and PC manufacturers have caught on, and have begun offering touchscreen functionality on their devices too.
With that said, is it really worth it? It sounds like a great idea, but in practice, it’s not as worthwhile as you think. Machines with touchscreen functionality are a lot more expensive, so if you’re buying to a budget, you’re going to be compromising quite significantly on specification to get the touchscreen.
That would be worth it if it’s indispensable, but in fact, it ends up being rarely used. That’s largely down to why you’re using the device. We tend to browse the internet on our phones or tablets, which don’t have an attached keyboard or mouse, and you’ll continue to do so.
When using a laptop, you’ll find it’s with a more productive intent in mind, e.g. design or writing. For both, you’ll barely used the touchscreen functionality other than to hit dialogue buttons; design is cumbersome with a touchscreen, and still much more readily completed with other devices, and when it comes to typing it’s plain unnecessary – the tactility of a keyboard makes it much easier to touch-type.
There are hundreds of smartphones available, with a few more prominent brands but plenty of cheaper options to choose from. Two particular brands, considered the leaders in the smart phone industry, are often compared to one another in the media and social media users often joke about their ‘rivals’. However, while it is easy to be influenced by the opinions of others, it is important to research thoroughly before choosing a smartphone to ensure it fits your lifestyle and needs.
While the smaller manufacturers tend to use the same technology for the software side of the devices, the bigger competitors often use their own software and this can cause issues for some users. Swapping from one brand to another when upgrading can cause issues with transferring data from the old phone to the new, while apps may also be different and the user data incompatible with the new phone.
Ultimately, you should look at what the tech has to offer before looking at the brand name. Even as adults it is easy to succumb to peer pressure, but it is little use if you find your new device does not do what you need it to do as a result. If you use your camera a lot, check out the camera specs; if you rely on a certain app for work make sure it is compatible with the phone you are interested in. Once you have made your purchase, it is likely too late to change your mind!
Buying electrical items for households and businesses is not an especially easy task. It can be difficult to know what to look out for and how to know whether a product is going to be good quality and stand the test of time. Here are some tips to help you:
- Read reviews. Other customers like you will have been buying electrical products and will be able to share their own experiences. Look at reviews on specific web pages and on the product itself.
- Know the item you’re buying. Have an understanding of how it functions and how it will work. Then you can spot any potential defects easily.
- Choose good, reputable brands that are well known and that mean something to you. Not only will they tend to be the best quality, they will also come with a good guarantee. Look up the best brands to buy.
Accessing the internet is a way of life now and we rely on the web for so many things. This means that for a lot of us, the idea of not having the internet on holiday or when travelling is completely unthinkable! Internet access can be expensive though, especially when using a smartphone. You will sometimes be able to get the internet in European countries at a fairly reasonable price, but it will still probably set you back a few pounds per day. Buying a local sim card could be the answer.
If you choose to buy a sim card, you will probably be able to get some very good deals in the majority of countries. The sim card itself shouldn’t cost you very much money at all and all you will need to do then is purchase a data package for it. Again, this really shouldn’t cost very much. If you do run out of data and want to buy more it will be easy to top up your sim card in a local shop. Just ask at your hotel or a tourist information centre where it is best to buy an internet-enabled sim card from.
There are so many different ways you can now access the internet and the option you choose will very much depend on your own personal preference. These are some of the most popular options you can select:
- A mobile phone. Choose a smartphone to access the internet anywhere, at any time. If you are able to use WiFi, this will save you using your mobile data. You will usually have a certain amount of data available on your contract or pay as you go sim card.
- Laptop or desktop computer. This is the most convenient option if you want to work and need to do a lot of writing. Choose a laptop or desktop if you’re going to be accessing the internet for a long period of time.
- This is larger and more convenient than a mobile phone but it is still quite small and portable. You will need to use WiFi to access the internet using one of these devices.